If completed, these nine tasks will lead to healthy relationships:
1. Detach emotionally from the families of childhood.
2. Build togetherness through intimacy while maintaining autonomy.
3. Expand your circle of relationships to include children while maintaining the primary relationship.
4. Navigate the inevitable challenges and the unpredictable adversities of life in ways that enhance the relationship, despite suffering.
5. Make your relationship safe for expressing differences, anger and conflict that are inevitable in marriage.
6. Establish and imaginative and pleasurable sex life.
7. Share laughter and humor to keep interest alive.
8. Provide emotional nurturance and encouragement.
9. Draw sustenance and renewal from the fantasies and images of courtship and the early marriage.